. . . Welcome! . . . feel free to browse and make comments . . .

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

On the Road ~ Sharpsburg, Maryland ~



 
On the Pennsylvania Border

Spent the first week of my stay on the road with my brother seeing small-town America. Drove south in Pennsylvania crossing over into Maryland where I wanted to visit the Antietam battlefield. Had read a book about that last year [Stephen Spears] and was so taken by it that it resulted in a poem. My nephew, who is a Civil War historian, spent two days with us there explaining in detail the battle as it took place, hour by hour. By coincidence it was September 17, the very day the battle took place in 1862.

1 comment:

myosotis said...

Reminds me of home...
Charles, I don't know if you've seen it, but Cardinal O'Malley has a blog. I remember reading that he studied in the Seminary in Butler, so I thought you might enjoy this.
http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/